The Model Railroad Museum of Hampton Roads is a “not for profit” educational organization which will provide a service to the community, an attraction for the area and financial support for surrounding local businesses. To achieve this end, the Model Railroad Museum of Hampton Roads must conceive, develop and implement programs, operating exhibits, and static displays to foster the hobby of model railroads and promote the welfare, mutual understanding and public awareness of model railroading by those actively engaged in the model railroad hobby. This is a multi-phase plan to incorporate and display G, O, S, HO, N, Z model railroad scales over several years. We are hopeful the Hampton Roads LEGO User group (HARDLUG) and Kids Run Trains may join the museum to operate train displays. Should outdoor space be available with the new facility, it may be possible to include a scale 1 train layout (7 ½” -wide track). An attraction of this scale will permit guests to ride a train for a small fee. Available space will determine the physical size of the layout and how much to charge for longer rides. If facility space is available, we will enhance the museum and community service by holding train shows at least twice a year and craft shows throughout the year.
Create a unified multi-scale model railroad venue for public display and interaction.
• Provide a model railroading experience that educates, inspires, and brings joy to all ages.
• To share and expand the model railroading experience as an avenue for human creativity.
• Establish a base of regular visitors.
• Partner with organizations that support the mission.
• Construct operating layouts for displays and demonstrations.
• Develop exhibits and programs that will attract diverse groups from Tidewater area, including local residents and tourists.
• Attain fiscal stability.
Path to Success
• Teaching and Learning: Support the teaching and learning of model railroad history.
• Technology: Provide an advanced technical interactive experience that enhances learning.
• Identity: Establish the Model Railroad Museum of Hampton Roads as an indispensable resource regarding railroad history in and around Tidewater.
• Enhance our guests’ experience in model railroading with multi-scale layout displays.
• Implement a traveling exhibit that would be available at different locations on specified dates. Many museums do this to raise funds and to increase public awareness of their museum. It would brand itself as a unique niche within the Hampton Roads museum market.
Legal Entity/ Support
The Model Railroad Museum of Hampton Roads is a 501(c)3 “not for profit” educational entity supported by donors, patron fees, business contributions, grants, sponsorships, and local support.